Quinceanera

Friday would have been young Jon-Benet Ramsey's 15th birthday. Well do I remember that Boxing-Day morning, when the alarm went off (heaven preserve us! why was the alarm clock set to go off on December 26th?), and I heard the voice of Steve Kelly on KOA say there was bad news, a child was missing in Boulder. A family friend was closely involved in the investigation (he's been seen on national news, I'll just say that); it was a sad and confusing story, all the way around. To this day, nobody knows if there is somebody out there who might 'do it again.' Now that I have my own little girl, though, I don't spend much time worrying about it either (but then again, is that why she is in Karate?).

Now don't you go get the idea I've been obsessed over the JBR... no, I only know the date because little Jon-Benet and Son Two share the exact same birthdate in the exact same year. So sometimes, when I look at him, I do think of Jon-Benet, and think of all the things her family didn't get to do with her that I've been blessed to do with him.

So really, happy 15th Birthday to my son!

And here is one of those things the Ramseys didn't get to do... a trek down to the Driver's license bureau to get a permit, and a couple of hours in a parking lot, doing circles as somebody learns how hard to put on the brakes. (This means a few more gray hairs for me, eh?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 8: The Six Young Ladies in the Middle

Part 3: Chautauqua -- The Original TED Talk

Part 2: Farmington, Iowa