School's out, school's out....
Remember this one?
School's out! School's out!
Teacher let the monkeys out!
That was going through my head yesterday, as I helped the elementary school serve 750 McDonald's hamburgers (two cookies, a handful of chips/cheese puffs, one napkin, one soda) to students and family members who came to say goodbye.
And then I had a houseful of kids the rest of the day. Welcome, summer.
*****
Somewhere along the way, I forgot to mourn the fact that life does a complete change from here on out. When they go back to school in the fall, so will I. No more automatic assumed availability in crisis, no pencil-whipping the field-trip chaperone line. No more sending young'uns off to school and revelling in a day completely under my own control.
I didn't even think about it until there was only half-an-hour of that last school day left. Guess it's not that big a deal.
*****
On tap for the summer... new carpet (current carpet is original to the house, 27+ years, and boy is it due!), vinyl, and a kitchen remodel. That might as well be moving, without actually moving. Hopefully, having to take everything out of the main floor will mean cutting thirteen years of junk down to a manageable size, easier for us all to take care of together (rather than mostly me).
School's out! School's out!
Teacher let the monkeys out!
That was going through my head yesterday, as I helped the elementary school serve 750 McDonald's hamburgers (two cookies, a handful of chips/cheese puffs, one napkin, one soda) to students and family members who came to say goodbye.
And then I had a houseful of kids the rest of the day. Welcome, summer.
*****
Somewhere along the way, I forgot to mourn the fact that life does a complete change from here on out. When they go back to school in the fall, so will I. No more automatic assumed availability in crisis, no pencil-whipping the field-trip chaperone line. No more sending young'uns off to school and revelling in a day completely under my own control.
I didn't even think about it until there was only half-an-hour of that last school day left. Guess it's not that big a deal.
*****
On tap for the summer... new carpet (current carpet is original to the house, 27+ years, and boy is it due!), vinyl, and a kitchen remodel. That might as well be moving, without actually moving. Hopefully, having to take everything out of the main floor will mean cutting thirteen years of junk down to a manageable size, easier for us all to take care of together (rather than mostly me).
Comments