Happy Birthday, Son
Seventeen years ago today, likewise on a Friday afternoon, my husband was on campus in an Advanced Differential Equations class. It was just a week or so before finals, his last term before graduation. I was at home (our tiny, basement apartment... o! for the days of $150/month rent!), passing time playing games on the Amiga 500, feeling tired and huge and just not very comfortable.
Then the uncomfortable got worse. I looked at the clock... an hour before class would be out. I paced the room: "Do I interrupt class, or not?" Pretty soon, I didn't care what happened to the class. My husband needed to get home NOW!
So I called the department offices (this was pre-cell-phone days). And a secretary went running through the building, slip of paper in hand, burst into the classroom, panting: "Mr. _____! Mr. ______! You need to go home now! Your wife is in labor!" (Ok, this was BYU, and such interruptions were commonplace in upper-division courses.)
Pretty soon, I see my husband flying up the street on his bicycle. He jumped off, bundled me in our battered grey '77 Celica, and we scurried off to the maternity ward.
A little more than four hours later, Voila! We were parents of a strapping 9 1/2 lb., 23" baby boy.
Happy Birthday, son.
Then the uncomfortable got worse. I looked at the clock... an hour before class would be out. I paced the room: "Do I interrupt class, or not?" Pretty soon, I didn't care what happened to the class. My husband needed to get home NOW!
So I called the department offices (this was pre-cell-phone days). And a secretary went running through the building, slip of paper in hand, burst into the classroom, panting: "Mr. _____! Mr. ______! You need to go home now! Your wife is in labor!" (Ok, this was BYU, and such interruptions were commonplace in upper-division courses.)
Pretty soon, I see my husband flying up the street on his bicycle. He jumped off, bundled me in our battered grey '77 Celica, and we scurried off to the maternity ward.
A little more than four hours later, Voila! We were parents of a strapping 9 1/2 lb., 23" baby boy.
Happy Birthday, son.
Comments
LOL. I've got a sneakin' suspicion that'll be the first thing Hill will notice about me.