The Fall Holidays

are upon us.

For weeks now, Daughter-One-and-Only has been asking me about Hallowe'en costumes.

[See that apostrophe? I still remember the spelling test in second grade that required that apostrophe to mark the missing 'v'. Shows you how old I am. I don't think you need the apostrophe any more.]

Anyway, as I was saying, (a pair of throat-clearer phrases if ever there were any) she's apparently well internalized the fact that I won't be available to make her (yup, I used to do that) a costume this year on account of Law school. So she took matters in her own hands. Quite some time ago she asked me when Hallowe'en costumes would be for sale in the stores, and I told her, quite innocently, "Oh, the day after Labor Day."

So after school she met me in the kitchen where I was chopping vegetables for soup and informed me that we needed to go shopping. Today. Right now. Because TODAY the Hallowe'en costumes were for sale.

So off to the store we went, and were rewarded with a lovely selection of warm and imaginative princess dresses. We had to look at each dress, examine whether it covered enough body (alas, some did not... for little bitty kids, even), and whether the color matched or accentuated her eyes, whether it had appropriate accessories included. The final choice was a lovely crimson damask, with nylon net underflounce and complete with tiara and star-topped scepter.

I guess that's her way of coping with me being in school... taking care of business way in advance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 8: The Six Young Ladies in the Middle

Part 3: Chautauqua -- The Original TED Talk

Part 2: Farmington, Iowa