Rhythms of Life


Many folks, I would guess, are at least passing familiar with what it might mean to be a practicing Jewish mother (of a hundred-some years ago, maybe), if only because of the beautiful images of Sabbath preparation and ritual led by Golde in Fiddler on the Roof.

What is not so known, I would guess, are the rhythms of life familiar to a Mormon woman, the harmonizing patterns small and great organizing and shaping life. Rhythms that come daily, like family prayer; weekly, like teaching in Primary; monthly, like fasting for the poor or worshipping in the temple; or twice annually, like joining brothers and sisters around the world in hearing the words of the prophets at general conference. Circles of life opening and closing with rituals marking the passage of time as children grow up and go on missions and start their own families.

I find myself in a strange place in life, at the moment; one that I find hard to articulate. My rhythms of life continue, with defining central meaning to me--yet outside of my home and heart, it is as if such rhythms do not exist. I feel a distinct sense of disconnect, in some ways, between different parts of daily living. What connects a woman within--and without? I look for mentors who have bridged this gap, or who understand what it is that I cannot say, but I know not where to find them.

Comments

Kelly said…
Right now my life rhythm feels much like Beethoven's Hammerklavier Sonata for the piano -- it pounds and pounds at breakneck speed and never slows and feels like it will never end. I don't know what I'll do when the children start to leave the house and the song slows to its final cadence.
Anonymous said…
This has been an aspect of my life with which I have struggled for nearly three decades. How do you get a flow of the Spirit from the spiritually energizing home atmosphere to the worldly and spiritually wearing atmosphere of career and job? I haven't found the perfect balance yet and it may never happen. I don't even think that having an office full of LDS people makes that bridge and I have worked in an office where all are LDS. Maybe Heavenly Father meant that the home would be the ultimate workplace. Unfortunately, this world does not accept the home as a viable career and it (the world view of home) certainly does not allow for individual gifts and talents that are appreciated outside of it.

As Ecclesiastes states, there is a time and purpose for every season of one's life. The ebb and flow of each season is different and one has to accept the changes as the weather changes the condition of the ocean.

Popular posts from this blog

Mindless painting leaves too much time for thinking - Warning "Harry Potter" Spoilers

And did I mention...

Ok, why I have no pity for piggies