Random Sunday Thoughts
Today, I am glad for my personal policy of no-law-school stuff on Sundays.
But, it creeps in anyway. I was helping out in the church nursery during Sunday School today, sitting on the floor and singing songs and reading stories to 1-1/2 and 2-year-olds. In the room was one of those light-weight pop-up play castles; another adult playing with the kids was picking the castle up and putting it over different children (essentially playing peek-a-boo).
And what I found coming out of my mouth was, "See, a castle is a good under the Uniform Commercial Code..."
You just can't get away from it.
***
Daughter-one-and-only wants an Easy-Bake Oven for Christmas.
I remember wanting one when I was her age. (Oh the joy of retro-toys.)
And getting one. And being sadly disappointed at how hard it was to use, and what it couldn't do. Waiting forever for a tiny cake with next-to-no-flavor; washing the pans (see them rust). And when you ran out of the tiny stale cake mix packages, not being able to do much of anything else with the thing.
I asked my husband, ahem, I mean Mr. Santa (as opposed to Mrs. Santa, who is me) what he thought of getting her the oven, since it is what she wants and all. He just laughed, "What does she want that for? Didn't she just mix up from scratch her own batch of brownies the other day, and the only thing you had to do was lift the heavy bowl so she could pour the batter into the pan?"
Which is about what I was thinking, remembering how it felt to actually get one of those cool-on-tv-but-lame-in-real-life toys, too. So I don't think there's gonna be any Easy-Bake Oven under the tree. Here's to hoping that by the time Santa arrives, she wants something else. (Which, I'm sure, is quite likely.)
***
Daughter-One-And-Only's Zebra Brownies (which she thought up herself, based on a basic recipe)
1 c. margarine
3/4 c. cocoa
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 T. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 jar Kraft marshmallow creme
Hershey's chocolate syrup.
Grease a 13x9 pan. Preheat oven to 350.
Melt margarine in microwave using a 4 c. glass measuring cup. Blend in cocoa. Stir in sugar, beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour and salt, and stir until smooth. Pour into pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Let cool for about an hour. Spread marshmallow creme over top of brownies. Draw stripes across the top using the chocolate syrup.
Cut into 24 bars. Serve.
***
Be sure to brush your teeth when you're done!
But, it creeps in anyway. I was helping out in the church nursery during Sunday School today, sitting on the floor and singing songs and reading stories to 1-1/2 and 2-year-olds. In the room was one of those light-weight pop-up play castles; another adult playing with the kids was picking the castle up and putting it over different children (essentially playing peek-a-boo).
And what I found coming out of my mouth was, "See, a castle is a good under the Uniform Commercial Code..."
You just can't get away from it.
***
Daughter-one-and-only wants an Easy-Bake Oven for Christmas.
I remember wanting one when I was her age. (Oh the joy of retro-toys.)
And getting one. And being sadly disappointed at how hard it was to use, and what it couldn't do. Waiting forever for a tiny cake with next-to-no-flavor; washing the pans (see them rust). And when you ran out of the tiny stale cake mix packages, not being able to do much of anything else with the thing.
I asked my husband, ahem, I mean Mr. Santa (as opposed to Mrs. Santa, who is me) what he thought of getting her the oven, since it is what she wants and all. He just laughed, "What does she want that for? Didn't she just mix up from scratch her own batch of brownies the other day, and the only thing you had to do was lift the heavy bowl so she could pour the batter into the pan?"
Which is about what I was thinking, remembering how it felt to actually get one of those cool-on-tv-but-lame-in-real-life toys, too. So I don't think there's gonna be any Easy-Bake Oven under the tree. Here's to hoping that by the time Santa arrives, she wants something else. (Which, I'm sure, is quite likely.)
***
Daughter-One-And-Only's Zebra Brownies (which she thought up herself, based on a basic recipe)
1 c. margarine
3/4 c. cocoa
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 T. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 jar Kraft marshmallow creme
Hershey's chocolate syrup.
Grease a 13x9 pan. Preheat oven to 350.
Melt margarine in microwave using a 4 c. glass measuring cup. Blend in cocoa. Stir in sugar, beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour and salt, and stir until smooth. Pour into pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Let cool for about an hour. Spread marshmallow creme over top of brownies. Draw stripes across the top using the chocolate syrup.
Cut into 24 bars. Serve.
***
Be sure to brush your teeth when you're done!
Comments