Confessions of an alley walker

Stress seems to pack on the pounds, and other than parenting, I've discovered nothing so stressful as studying for the bar exam. So late last month, I took to walking in the early hours of the morning. Not so early that it's dark, mind you. Just so early that it's still cool. (July Colorado sunshine can be brutal!) I've discovered that my favorite routes for walking include alleyways. Now, my own back yard doesn't have an alley, given that our particular plat was laid out in the late 1970's after alleys had passed from fashion. All our utilities are buried underground (thus the utility companies have an easement in gross over our back yard, and our yard is the servient estate... the easement having been duly recorded at the courthouse and appearing in our record of title... oops, not a bar exam question. Moving along...) and the trash is picked up in front of the house, instead of behind it. Neighborhoods from here north generally don't have alleys.

But starting a block south of my home, nearly every backyard borders on an alley. I love walking along alleys. They are shadier than the street, and quieter, too, which is an important consideration given that I'm trying to study while I walk. I opted for home-study, which involved paying an additional fee to the bar-exam-review-company for the privilege of having all lectures on a provided i-pod. I review lectures while I walk. Someone watching me would wonder what I'm doing with my hands as I physically act out mental categories as I walk. But for the most part, our town is pretty quiet at 6:00 AM, and I don't see too many people. Except those who are moving their sprinklers around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 8: The Six Young Ladies in the Middle

Part 3: Chautauqua -- The Original TED Talk

Part 2: Farmington, Iowa