Esquire Coffinberry's Great-Grand-Nieces and -Nephews
When I was a little girl, we'd go to church with Grandpa and Grandma. My grandparents would often sing for the services, my Grandpa singing Tenor and my Grandma in her sweet warbling Soprano, with Grandpa on the guitar. And on some visits, they'd have us grandkids sing with them. I remember one Sunday walking down the aisle with my Grandma, past the beautiful lily window, to stand up and sing a duet with her. I couldn't have been more than seven years old.
I don't suppose my memories of that beautiful church were much different from those of my cousins.
Which is why what we did on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend was so special. We gathered at that same church, and all of us walked down that aisle and gave back to the congregation what we've cherished all these years, the gift of song. Grandpa and Grandma are long gone now, resting just outside, but I like to think they were there in spirit, joining in our song.
Comments