Welcome to my Blog

Actually, I don't know what possesses me to think I need a blog, too. But they just seem so... cool. And a handy place to vent those things that get on the mind and under the skin.

So why Coffinberry?

Way back in the long-time-ago, there was a pioneering family in Ohio. This was so long ago that Johnny Appleseed, the real-life-person, was a regular visitor to their home.

One of the sons in this family was Andrew Coffinberry, who grew up to be the first County Prosecutor in Lucas County, Ohio. Known not only for his legal prowess but also his sartorial detail, he was long remembered as "not only an excellent lawyer, an honest, honorable man, but a great hearted, genial gentleman as well." (Lucas County History: http://www.co.lucas.oh.us/Prosecutor/ACCoffinberry.asp).

So, have I ever lived in Lucas County, Ohio? No. Did I ever go to an elementary school named for Andrew Coffinberry? No. Do I admire the band from the Cleveland area that has adopted this name. No, I've never heard their music.

But I am descended from Andrew's younger sister Nancy.

Most of my ancestors were farmers and teachers. An occasional musician or blacksmith. One noted adventurer. But not a lot of attorneys. So when I was thinking about my ancestors, and also about what kind of lawyer I'd like to be, I found myself thinking of Andrew Coffinberry... excellent, honest, honorable, great-hearted, genial. A lofty goal, I suppose, but it doesn't hurt to aim high.

(which also tells you... I have a passion for Genealogy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 8: The Six Young Ladies in the Middle

Part 3: Chautauqua -- The Original TED Talk

Part 2: Farmington, Iowa