Battling Bindweed - Not the Moral Story I Thought It Was
Bindweed. My nemesis. Visible evidence of my moral failure to work hard enough at pulling the weeds in my flowerbeds and garden.
It drills up through layers of cardboard and mulch. It chokes the rhubarb, knots the roses, buries the gnomes.
Wishing to acquit myself of such public laziness, I resolved that this year, I would rise in the cool of the mornings, patiently enduring the skeeters that bite through long sleeves and jeans, and pull these weeds. I would do one flower bed at a time, maybe half a flower bed a day. I'd do them in rotation. That should take care of them.
After a week or so of this, I came back to the first bed. It was again covered in weeds. Oh well, I would just have to be more diligent than the weeds.
I told myself it was a case of Good, Better, Best: Good would be to scrape the evidence of the weeds from the surface. Better would be to pull up the white root. Best would be to catch the runner root 6 or 7 inches down. I slowed my efforts to make sure I got as much root as I could. And I recruited my grandson to do the same.
Still the Bindweed returned. Thicker and denser than before. I could not keep up.Today, I learned that the reason I could not keep up with the bindweed is because what I thought was "Better" and "Best" was actually making the situation worse.
So off to Menard's (where we jokingly parody the everpresent earworm as "You'll spend money, you'll spend big money, when you shop Menard's"... because I think we're at Menards almost daily, and sometimes 2-3 times a day), where I got a couple of garden shears of various sizes. I'll try the snipping thing for a while.

Comments