A New Song

Our stake's 14-18 year old youth are going on Trek this summer (Mr. Coffinberry & I are lead pa & ma, which is a quaint way of saying people-who-fill-in-for-whatever-is-needed). Of course, Trek is a large part of our young people's focus of study this year, then. In an attempt to combine this year's YM/YW theme "Be an Example of the Believers" with Trek (and respond to an itch to compose something brought on by Elder Uchtdorf's talk last fall), this is what I came up with. A handful of young people will be singing it a week from Sunday at a Trek Kickoff Fireside. Can you tell I'm a Scouter at heart (ahem, I usta be a Bobwhite, a good ol' Bobwhite too...)?

Let me know what you think, and if you use it for some purpose, I'd love to know that, too.

Comments

Coffinberry said…
Just so you know, I've altered the music here slightly (got rid of a superfluous 'and', thanks to a suggestion from Kelly). If you would like an updated copy, say so, and I'll send you a .pdf directly.

Thanks for visiting!
Hi, I am looking for a play that is based on this years mutual theme. Our stake holds an annual 'Oscars' evening and in preparation for that our youth have to make a movie based on the theme. I like the song but unfortunatly one of the guidlines set out for our movies is that it cannot only be a song. You wouldn't by any chance know of a story pr play that is based on the theme? Hope you can help!
David Y. said…
Coffinberry:

I like your piece. Our Stake is going next year (2010) on a trek, so this is timely. Thanks.

If you would be willing, I'd like to suggest a change to the placement of a couple of syllables in first phrase of the YM's part. I have a small music file of my suggested changes, if you would like (I think it would be too hard to explain them in text).

I think by posting a commment, you have access to my email address? If not, I'll post it here. Just let me know.

P.S. I'm an attorney, too, but unfortunately don't know of any great-great-grandparents in my line who chose this same line of work. Maybe they were smarter than I think!

Popular posts from this blog

Part 8: The Six Young Ladies in the Middle

Part 3: Chautauqua -- The Original TED Talk

Part 2: Farmington, Iowa