Hail to the Chief?

It's after dinner, and Mr. Coffinberry and I decide to go for a little walk, so that our step-counters (courtesy the Walking Challenge) will read something a little more substantial than the ~2000 steps our sedentary jobs provoke. Son Three is at Driver's Ed class (how did that happen?) so only Daughter-one-and-only is home. I shout down the stairs: "You wanna come on a walk with us?"

"No," she cheerfully replies, "I've gotta work on my campaign."

"What campaign?" I wonder aloud over the rail.

"For President."

Remembering with chagrin my 2nd grade encounter with classroom campaign debates over McGovern and Nixon (as a memory oddment floats by: Gina Dearth and Steve Hammer spoke for McGovern; I was for Nixon--after 36 years, why should those names pop to mind?), I try to imagine how this campaign must look to 5th grade eyes. Not wanting to indicate any current bias (here in 2008 I am deeply undecided, which is just as well, since as a member of the judiciary I couldn't express my preference anyway), I play it safe:

"Who for President?"

"Me for President," stated as if that should be obvious.

"President of what?"

"Student Body president."

"You're running for student body president?" (Since when? I wonder, checking my memory for whether I'd missed something when asking about her day.)

"Yep."

"Who are you running against?"

"C-----." (Her best friend.) Oh, my. Shades of "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" go through my mind, and I correct myself: that's the wrong episode. Shush, I retort: You know what I mean.

"Uh, how's that going to work out? I mean, are you okay with that if she wins, or if you win?"

Tired of shouting around the corner, she comes to the bottom of the stairs. "Oh sure. Fair-and-square. We already talked about it." She goes back to the poster she's coloring for the hallway. Later that evening, she will make mini-fliers of old business-card stock. Her slogan: "I'll do the right thing."

Ah, if only it were that simple.

-----------------------------------------

Oh, we did go for that walk. Put another 4500 steps on the meter. I know the goal is to beat 10K daily. I count myself as doing well to make it to 6K in a day.

It's been a busy month since I last posted. Got one kid off to college, and me started in my first full-time professional career job. Fortunately, I love it.

Comments

Beth said…
Well, did she win???
Coffinberry said…
The election isn't until this week, I think... I ask her about it, and she just says "not yet." But she was elected to represent her class on the student council, for the third year in a row. So either way, she's in student government once again.

Thanks for asking, and congratulations on your coming little one!

Popular posts from this blog

Mindless painting leaves too much time for thinking - Warning "Harry Potter" Spoilers

And did I mention...

Ok, why I have no pity for piggies